On September 19, 1918 in the newspaper "Odessa leaf" № 197 a message appeared: "Yesterday in the building of technical society a significant event happened - the opening of Odessa Polytechnic Institute (OPI)". Thus began the history of Odessa National Polytechnic University.
At the time of founding the Institute consisted of three faculties: Mechanical with electromechanical, shipbuilding and mechanical departments; Civil Engineering with hydraulic engineering and sanitary-engineering departments; Economic with administrative and financial, and commercial and industrial departments. Each department, in turn, was divided into a number of directions in order to prepare specialists in the relevant fields.
OPI later became the basis on which a number of other technical HEIs of the South of Ukraine were established. In 1921 Economics Faculty separated from OPI, which initiated the existence of Odessa National Economic University. In 1930 another three faculties seceded from OPI - Civil Engineering, Shipbuilding and Electrical Engineering, based on which Odessa State Academy of Construction and Architecture, Odessa National Maritime University and Odessa National Academy of Telecommunications n.a. A.S. Popov were created, all of them still existing at the moment. And "Polytechnic" became one of the leading higher technical educational institutions of Ukraine. In 1933 it was incorporated into the higher technical educational institutions of the first category and renamed into Odessa Industrial Institute (OII).
During this period at the Institute 1862 students were enrolled on two faculties - Mechanical-Technological, Electrical Engineering, Thermal Power and Chemical Engineering. In subsequent years the Institute continued to develop and, in 1941, there were 2470 students.
During the Great Patriotic War the main part of staff and students of the institute was evacuated to Penza, where, according to the Order of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR of 01.10.43, starting from 11.01.43 the work of OII was restored. At that time OII consisted of three faculties (Mechanical-Technological, Precise Mechanics and Heat Engineering) and eleven departments.
In accordance with the decree of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR, People's Commissar of Mortar Weapons of the USSR and the All-Union Committee on Higher Education in 1944 Penza Industrial Institute was established in the city of Penza on the basis of the evacuated part of OII.
After the liberation of Odessa from Nazi occupation on 04.10.1944 the return of the OII to the city took place, and by the decree of the secretariat of the Odessa Regional Committee of the Communist Party (Bolsheviks) of Ukraine and the proposal of the Voroshilov district council of Odessa on 18.04.44 № 41 it was declared open. Three faculties worked in the institute: Mechanical, Electrical and Thermal Engineering. 20 departments were established. According to the established plan of enrollment for 1944/1945 academic year 300 students were enrolled to the first year, and 200 – to senior courses.
On the basis of the resolution of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR of 30.04.45, № 931 and orders of the People's Commissar of Mortar Weapons of the USSR and the All-Union Committee on Higher Education of 17/05/45 № 215/287, by the order of OII of 27/06/45 № 68 since 01.05.45 the Odessa Industrial Institute was renamed into Odessa Polytechnic Institute.
In 1960 the OPI branch in the city of Sevastopol was transformed into the current Sevastopol National Technical University.
Gradually passed the process of recovery and development of material-technical base of the institute, new faculties were opened, number of students grew. In the 1967/1968 academic year the institute had 9 faculties: Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical and Technological, Electromechanical, Thermal Power, Chemical Technology, Automatics and Industrial Electronics, Radio Engineering, Engineering Physics, and Engineering and Economical. In addition, General Technical, Correspondence and Foreign Students faculties worked.
In 1968 for the achieved success in training of specialists and scientific advancement and in connection with the 50th anniversary of the founding, Odessa Polytechnic Institute was awarded the Certificate of Honour by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR of 09.02.68, № 4069.
For merits in training of specialists for the national economy and scientific research development by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of 02.11.71, Odessa Polytechnic Institute was awarded the Certificate and Order of the Red Banner of Labour.
In 1977 by Decision of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR and the Ukrainian Republican Council of Trade Unions of 07.04.77, № 171 for achieving best results in socialist competition, for improving production efficiency and quality of work, successful implementation of national economic plan of 1976, the staff of Odessa Polytechnic was listed on the Republican Board of Honour.
By the Decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 13.08.93, № 646 Odessa Polytechnic Institute received university status in recognition of the high level of organization of the educational process and the quality of training in the field of scientific research. Having received the status of university, polytechnics continue working on the development of modern structure of the university education in the region.
By the Decision of 16.09.98, № 1448 the staff of Odessa State Polytechnic University was awarded the Certificate of Honour by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine for significant contribution to the training of highly qualified engineering specialists, advancement of science, engineering and technology and in connection with the 80th anniversary of the founding.
According to the Decree of the President of Ukraine of 07.08.2001 № 591 Odessa Polytechnic University was given the status of "National" in recognition of its international authority, a high level of methodical and scientific work, corresponding to the quality of training specialists for national economy.
In order to further improve the quality of training of specialists for the national economy of Ukraine the Ministry of Education and Science (MES) adopted a number of decisions on the integration of specialized technical schools and colleges - higher education institutions of I and II levels of accreditation into the most powerful HEIs of IV level of accreditation. Thus in accordance with the orders of the MES the following establishments were included into ONPU’s structure: Odessa Automobile and Road College, order of 19.04.2004, № 313; Kherson Polytechnic College, order of 30.04.2004 № 364; Berezovka Higher Vocational School, order of 29.06.2006, № 497; Novokakhovka Polytechnic College, order of 28.01.2008, № 43. This made it possible to concentrate the efforts of specialists of higher educational institutions in the training of highly qualified bachelors, specialists and masters.
In accordance with the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 30.08.2006 № 1254 "On reorganization of Odessa Institute of Ground Forces" (OIGF) by joint order of the Minister of Defence and Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine of 09.08.2007, № 453/728 on the basis of OIGF the Military Institute of Odessa National Polytechnic University was founded, which was the organizational, educational and scientific structural subdivision of Odessa National Polytechnic University and the legal successor of Odessa Institute of Ground Forces. The Military Institute subordinated to the commander of Ground Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and on the organization of educational activities - to the university rector. In accordance with the Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 23.03.2011, № 286 "On the reorganization of the Military Institute of Odessa National Polytechnic University into the Military Academy (Odessa)" and the order of the Minister of Defence of Ukraine and the Minister of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine of 19.04 .2011, № 211/353 "On measures for reorganization of the Military Institute of Odessa National Polytechnic University" the Military Institute left the structure of ONPU on 17.08.2011.
Today the University consists of: eleven institutions - Machine Building; Industrial Technologies, Design and Management; Computer Systems; Energy and Computer-Integrated Control Systems; Electromechanics and Energy Management; Information Security, Radioelectronics and Telecommunications; Business, Economics and Information Technologies; Distance and Correspondence Education; Training of Foreign Citizens; Ukrainian-German and Medical Engineering; two faculties - Chemical Technology and Humanitarian; 64 departments; training centers - improvement of quality of education, Ukrainian-Spanish, Ukrainian-Polish and others; three colleges and one higher vocational school. Specialists of all levels are being trained, from Bachelor to Doctor of Science.
Odessa National Polytechnic University is the largest center for training engineering and technical personnel in the South of Ukraine. University's task is to preserve and multiply the achievements of previous years. This is not an easy task, because unfortunately we have to admit Ukraine's educational system is currently in a state of crisis. However, the polytechnics are willing to accept this challenge. Thus, ONPU is one of the fourteen universities of Ukraine, accepted to the European Universities Association and one of the four universities of Ukraine - Members of the International Association of Universities.
Briefly the mission of the University can be formulated as follows: "Enhancing the intellectual potential of the nation." And it is a worthy continuation of the traditions of the university.
1. Oborskyi G.O. Odessa National Polytechnic University. Genealogy. / G.O. Oborskyi, V.I. Bondar, V.V. Lebid // Odessa Polytechnic University’s Works – Odessa, 2013. – Ed. 3 (42). – P. 323-328.
2. History of Odessa Polytechnic in sketches / Yu. S. Denisov, V. I. Bondar; edited by V.P. Malakhov. – 2nd edit., updated and revised. – Odessa: ONPU, Astroprint, 2003. – 656 p.